I'm cutting down this quarter to a number of goals I've found works great: four. Thank you for your patience with me getting this list out - the last two weeks have required a drastic reevaluation. Let's get started.
My Goals Due June 2019
|Phone Lock Reminder Screen|
- The primary goal was going to be to finish Shallow Seas, but I think a website to show off Shallow Seas is of a lot more interest. By June, I need the domain name "JimmyChattin", an "About" page, contact and hiring information, and a backlog of posts for the site. We're going to keep this simple, maybe adding tags for posts as necessary.
- Surprise! WordPress makes setting up a website amazingly easy. With a coupon code, I now have JimmyChattin.com for the next two years! Now let's add some content to it ~
- Finish Draft 1 Shallow Seas
- My first among equals. The goal last time was to draft Shallow Seas; that didn't happen, but I'm close. This time, we're going to cover the final thirty-to-forty-thousand words.
- "Blessed are the list makers." I hope to systematize my life. First, we're going to need to make and stick with a "No, But" list - whenever something would distract from goals or pure pleasure, pause. Give the list a review. Then either give it a "hell yes" or an unashamed "no". Maybe include writing my own obituary too. There's no time to dally.
- Update the stories They're Aboard and Unblinking Skitarii (working titles), two fan fictions written around 2018 for the Warhammer 40K universe. There are a few edits I've left behind for myself, so finally 'completing' these stories would be grand.
These goals, though fewer, are bigger than previous endeavors. Regardless, I'll push hard. However, all are subject to replacement in the next three months. I'm keeping eyes peeled for Games Workshops' Black Library open submissions for 2019. If / When that hits, a few alternates will have to be taken up instead of the above:
- Send one fully realized submission to Black Library. That's brainstorm, logline, outline, pick, draft, revise (continuously), and finally submit a Warhammer story.
- Ideas already:
- Follow a soldier's horrific journey through a spaceship boarded by aliens he once called home.
- A simple heist of the jewels in an alien crypt at the heart of a continent goes wrong.
- The lost crew of a ship crash on an ancient space station hidden in a sun's corona.
- Play Warhammer games (for research, of course). Total War Warhammer and Vermintide 2 and a boatload of audiobooks should do the trick.
This'll be a tough three months. With GDC happening in March, leading a new fitness group, and training / coaching for Las Vegas's Corporate Challenge competitions, distractions will be rife. Rising in my role at my job is also a concern as I seek both more responsibility and less time in office. Wish me luck and give me understanding as things get shifted around to realize these goals and position myself for a life of leisure in the future.
If you're interested, these were useful links for determining goals for JQ:
- Jenna Moreci, who inspired the quarterly goals system.
- Chris Sparks, Framing Your Goals to Inspire Action.
- Zen Habits, A Simple Guide to Setting and Achieving Your Life Goals. (Wish I'd read this prior to setting MQ 19! The single-goal stance is powerful.)
- An upset throughout multiple industries that saw a lot of folks I know let go.
|Original Photo; Source Unknown|